5 Tell-tale Signs that Mean You Should Get a Dehumidifier Right Away

Your home isn’t just yours alone, but it’s also home to many different particles that either breeze in through the window or are part of the things that you bring home with you after going outside.

These particles, ranging from specks of dust to mold spores, eventually settle into the corners of your home, such as the cracks between your walls and ceiling. They can multiply and spread given the right environment, which is one that’s high in humidity, or moisture in the air.

Fortunately, there are a few ways to know this, such as the following:

1. You see mold stains on the ceiling or in the corners of your walls.
Mold stains are the easiest to spot and are often the biggest tell-tale sign that the air inside your house is too humid. These start off as little dark spots that grow in size when left in the right conditions, and could cause allergic reactions in some people.

2. Recurring dampness despite everything being dry.
If you happen to live on the ground floor, there is also a good chance that this is the sign of faulty plumbing, especially if this dampness occurs near the kitchen or the sink. Do make your own investigations, but always be sure to call a professional service just in case.

3. You see visible signs of water stains or damage.
These are another tell-tale sign of excess moisture at home, though you may need to look into your plumbing a little further to make sure this isn’t the result of a leaking pipe. Having a dehumidifier is a first step when it comes to minimizing the damage, especially if many parts of your home or HDB flat are made from wood.

4. The air at home begins to smell musty.
Mildew and mold is always nearby whenever that musty smell is in the air. This can happen if windows aren’t sealed correctly or because of faulty plumbing, and the resulting mold spores could trigger allergic reactions if left to progress significantly throughout the house.

5. You encounter rotting wood.
Excessive moisture stored in wood will cause it to rot, which is a big problem if you have drywall, wooden fixtures, or appliances made of wood. This can affect the structural integrity and pose as a significant hazard, as well as attract unwanted pests to your home, such as termites.

If you notice wood starting to rot in or around your home, it may be a sign of excessive moisture or termites. As soon as possible, remove and replace the affected wood and purchase a dehumidifier to regulate the humidity of your home.

(Disclaimer: This list is compiled in no particular order.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *